Some of My Favorite People

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Where Do I Begin?

Since my last post on January 5th, I have been struggling with "beginnings". I was so looking forward to beginning a new sampler project after the first of the year. Here it is, the end of January and I'm still trying to decide what to begin. It's not because I don't have anything to stitch, in fact the situation is quite the opposite. I think I have too many choices! But what's a girl to to? I love to stitch and I love to collect patterns!!! Do I think that I will actually stitch every pattern I own. I sure do! Just kidding! In all reality, I know I'll never stitch it all but it's fun to collect and dream about it!

Today, I have been looking through my patterns, trying to decide what to work on; something new, something "in progress", something wintery, sometime springy, or something holiday related? Haven't decided yet but I really do enjoy handling my stash. I also started my Super Bowl Sale shopping list: fabric, threads, and possibly a few new patterns. I've decided to shop online since the closest shop is about an hour away and it is quite small with tons of stitchy things stuffed in it. By the time you get more than a handfull of crazed stitcher's in there, it could very well get ugly! LOL! I'll have to wait for my stuffs to arrive but I think I can find a few things in my stash to fill the time! 

Recent mail stash acquistions: Lizze Kate-"Time for God", With My Needle & Thread-"Hoppin' Along Sampler", and Ewe & Eye & Friends-"Petite Exemplary". Love the bunny! Wouldn't it be perfect for Easter? I may need to order fabby for it.....


When I have had a few minutes to stitch, I've put a few stitches into my Carriage House Sampling, "Alphabet Sampler". It's on 40ct linen and I'm making s-l-o-w progress. 

 
Darn! I cropped the picture before uploading it to my blog but it still pulled the pre-crop version. Don't know why. I need to figure that out, but it will have to wait for another day. Any advice would be welcomed!

I also began Blackbird Designs, "Truly Thine". (Sorry for the flash shiny spot.) No pic of my progress because it is very minimal. I'm stitching it on a tea colored linen from my stash because I didn't have and then couldn't find a comparable pinkish linen online. I plan to add a bit of soft brown (basket) and a couple of greens (leaves and vines) so it won't look so valentine-sy when I'm done.  


I started Paradise Lost with DMC. Not very happy with the colors used for the lions (where I started), so I'm contemplating investing in the silks.  Has anyone tried one of "Hand Dyed Fibers" conversions before? http://hand-dyedfibers.com/oscnuked/ I love her silks but not sure of the conversions. Thoughts?

Pulled out a few of my UFO's to see if they called to me. I'm waiting...nothing yet.

 Just Nan - "Lady Scarlet's Journey"

The Drawn Thread - "French Garden"

So as you can see, I've  been dabbling here and there, but haven't settled on any one thing yet. I really haven't had much time lately. Hoping that will change in the near future.

Part of my lack of stitching focus is due another type of "beginning" in my life. After being amongst the unemployed for over a year, I was offered and accepted a senior training position with a telecommunications company. Started January 11th and it has been a whirlwind. So much to learn! It is very different from the banking industry. Big adjustment for me, not just the job, but working again. (I really enjoyed my time off.)
So although I've been very busy over the last several weeks trying to adjust to working, I've tried to do a little blog hopping once or twice a week. I didn't have time to read much, but peeking at all the pictures has been like mental therapy for me. Thank you for being part of the blogoshere! You, and your blogs make a difference to me and helped to keep me grounded!!!

Thank you for stopping by!

5 comments:

Pat said...

Robin, your work is lovely and I'am happy to see you blogging again. The blackbird Design, Truly thine will be beautiful when you finish. I should know first hand, because the cross stitch you completed for me is breathtaking, and I sincerely love it. Our hobbies relax the soul and the mind. Good luck!

Deb said...

You have some wonderful projects that you're working on! I hear you on the slow progress with the Alphabet on 40 - I did mine on that fabric too, but after a while I got a rhythm to my stitching. And love the new stash too - Brenda has some wonderful designs!! In fact, I made that bunny last year for my daughter (although somehow I had a hard time parting with it.) It's a really fun stitch and goes together easily.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new job. that's gotta be hard to adjust after being off work for over a year. Enjoy your new stash. "truly thine" is on my wish list; I just love this one.

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin! You don't know me but I saw your xtitch and cats and just had to check you out. We sound a lot alike except for the going back to work so thought I'd follow you for awhile. Love your work and your comments. Hope you don't get lost in the working shuffle and I'll see you often :)
babs in alabama

Julianne said...

Robin,

I just found your blog a couple of weeks ago and I really have enjoyed looking at it.

I have a question about your thread conversion for the Homespun Elegance Snowman Sampler that you did. Could you e-mail me at luvstitchingatsbcglobaldotnet

Thanks

Julianne